Saturday, March 14, 2009

Cathy's Town Hall Meeting Speech

Below is the speech I intended to give at today's town meeting. I gave parts of the speech throughout the meeting.


Thank you for allowing me to speak. My name is Cathy Peschke I live at 239 Barton Road. I am the mother of two young children. I am asking that we reject the proposed school board budget and accept Jim Peschke's reduced budget proposal.

I want to remind the people of Croydon that our schools exist to serve the people of Croydon. The taxpayers of Croydon are not here to serve the Croydon or Newport School employees. The purpose of schools is not to ensure employment of our residents but to educate our children. Our schools are not an entitlement program for the school employees. Too many of the school employees have taken advantage of the taxpayers for far too long and have failed to adequately educate too many of our children for too long. The education system here in Croydon has become a far cry from what happened in our school house 100 years ago. It is time we return to those principles once again.



Every taxpayer dollar you spend I want to remind you that it is food off of someone's plate, it is someone's fuel, health care or retirement funds. Every tax dollar from our home is a dollar that is removed from my children's college accounts.

I am asking the school board to ask themselves with every dollar they spend "Am I wasting someone's hard earned money, will this money truly benefit the children of Croydon or is it just fulfilling a plea of a special interest group?

“It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds” Sam Adams

Cathy
Spelling and grammar errors as well as typos are left as an exercise for our readers.



No comments: