Monday, April 13, 2015

A Major Problem in Modern Education?

One of the most useful bits of knowledge came to me from Dr. Seaver in my Neurodiagnostics class in Graduate school.  "You don't need to know all the answers but you do need to know where to find the answers."  When working for patients it is impossible to know all the answers.  But I always knew I could comfort a patient by saying I can find an answer.  It has worked well with parenting and teaching my children as well.  The more I read, the more I learn, the more I realize there is still so much to learn.   I really did not have any teacher or professors who inspired me until I reached graduate school, those professors had a passion about their areas of study that I did not see in other educators. 

The following piece appeared on Gall-up.com.   

"Gallup recently polled over 200,000 high school students through the Gallup Student Poll and more than 30,000 college alumni through the Gallup-Purdue Index about their academic lives and beyond. Half of the high school students we polled said they don't have a single teacher who excites them about the future. And one-third of the American college graduates we surveyed said they didn't have a single professor who excited them about learning."

"Another Gallup poll reveals that America's systemic shortage of inspiring teachers may be rooted in the fact that only 30% of K-12 public school teachers are engaged in their jobs. This means that seven in 10 teachers are not enthusiastic about and committed to their work. And the 13% of K-12 public school teachers who are "actively disengaged" are actually doing more harm than good, spreading demoralization rather than inspiration. If teachers are not engaged at work, it's difficult for them to do a competent job much less inspire their students."

To read the rest of the story go to Gall-up.com.

Cathy

"If you think you're too small to have an impact, try going to bed with a mosquito in the room." - Anita Koddick

No comments: